The most popular choice for engagement rings continues to be diamonds. While there are some alternatives to diamonds such as moissanites or white sapphires, the sparkle, brilliance and look of a diamond is still the most desirable. With the continued on-going demand of diamond jewellery, many people opt for lab grown diamonds. For many shopping for diamond or engagement rings, the decision to buy a natural vs. a lab grown diamond can be confusing. We are here to help you select which is the best for you! In the current market, the price of natural diamonds has steadily increased making it either unaffordable or a compromise on size and quality. So, what are the key differences between lab-grown diamonds and natural diamonds and more importantly, which should you choose? Summarised below are some differences for you to consider:
- Lab grown diamonds, as their name suggests are grown in a lab under controlled conditions to mimic the natural processes that create diamonds – heat and pressure. A tiny diamond fragment called a seed is used to grow the diamond in a lab to create the diamonds.
- Natural diamonds, take billions of years to produce under intense natural processes and there is a finite supply of them. This, along with the mining process to extract them results in a higher cost associated with natural diamonds
- Like natural diamonds, lab grown diamonds have inclusions, vary in colour and are ultimately graded by the 4 Cs – clarity, cut, carat and colour.
- They are graded and certified in the same way as natural diamonds and reputable labs such as GIA offer certificates for them as well
- Lab grown diamonds are identical to natural diamonds in every way
- As the production of lab- grown diamonds has become more popular, there are finer cut lab grown diamonds available in the market. So, the selection and variety offering is much more than what was available five years ago.
Cost and Value:
- Lab grown diamonds offer a significant discount compared to natural diamonds. For those shopping on a tighter budget, the lab grown diamonds offer a significant saving and value for money by letting you purchase a larger, finer diamond in the same budget.
- Lab grown diamonds offer an excellent value proposition for those wanting an alternative to natural diamonds yet want a diamond as they love the look.
Here are three reasons why you should consider lab grown diamonds:Price:
As mentioned earlier, there is a substantial difference in price between natural and lab-grown diamonds. You can effectively buy a larger, finer diamond within your budget – giving you great value for your money.Reduced environmental impact:
The impacts of diamond mining including soil removal, water consumption and fossil fuels used in the mining processes are eliminated for lab grown diamonds. While there is electricity consumption used in creating the high heat and pressure conditions in the lab setting, this is typically lower that the overall consumption of fuels used in diamond mining. This is why lab grown diamonds are considered to be more environmentally friendly.Lab grown diamonds are REAL diamonds:
Similar to natural diamonds, lab grown diamonds are real crystals of diamonds and have the identical characteristics and overall look.
If you are looking for a budgeted option, then consider exploring lab grown diamonds for your next jewellery piece. We’re happy to show you options in each category and help you make an informed decision on which is best for you. Schedule a consult today and we can help you navigate the diamond selection process and provide expert advice in narrowing down and choosing your diamond.